This stylish Compo Beach, Connecticut home is full of playful details and vibrant hues. We are digging this chic, colorful take on the laid-back beachy style that designer Denise Davies of D2 Interieurs creates so effortlessly. Make sure to read all the way to the end to discover Denise’s 8 tips on how to create a fun and functional outdoor space for you and your guests.
Denise gives us all the details behind the design…”We wanted to give the house a beachy-retro vibe, like Palm Springs in the 1970s. The clients really wanted a space that was both sophisticated and comfortable. The good thing is the clients trusted me to really take their ideas in order to create a space that was uniquely theirs.
“We were really inspired by the landscape in terms of what color was used. Because it was a beach home, we wanted to reflect the locale without being kitschy. Many designers, when working on a similar space, typically use items such as corals and shells. Instead of using such props, we instead relied on earthy colors you find outside instead.”
“One of the my favorite elements of the home is the custom front door, which was painted the perfect blue.”
“As soon as you open the front door, your eyes go directly to the Ikat wallpaper in the kitchen…which was the inspiration for the rest of the home.”
“Replacing throw pillows provides a quick and inexpensive refresh to any spaces. It’s also a great way to infuse color.”
We love the whimsical pillows Denise used in the family room!
Botanical wallpaper in the powder room provides strong visual interest and carries through the beachy-retro theme.
The use of soothing grays and blues helps to create a tranquil master bedroom.
“This porch swing is the first thing the client requested—before the couple even had a bed. The porch is an extension of the living space and also very welcoming. The house has spectacular views of the Long Island Sound.
“Outdoor furniture has become as important as ever since it is now just as stylish and versatile as what you would find indoors.”
Denise’s pro tips on how to create a fun and functional outdoor space perfect for entertaining:
- “Invest in your dining table; it should be as stylish at is durable.
- Made in the shade. Get a colorful or graphic umbrella. Not only does it provide shade on a hot summer day, it also helps define the dining space.
- Chill out. Make sure you have a chic beverage tub or bar cart to keep drinks on display and cool for your guests.
- Set the mood with lighting. We love using white string lights around the trees and plants…candles and hurricane lanterns can transform a backyard into a romantic and inviting space.
- Fire it up! Grilling is essential. Invest in a durable and attractive grill.
- Listen to music. Invest in outdoor all-weather speakers so your guests can enjoy music while dining outside.
- Play Games! It’s always fun to kick off your shoes and feel the grass in your toes while playing some old school outdoor games like croquet, bocce ball, and even a good bean bag toss. It will make your gatherings even more memorable.
- Add potted plants for more color and greenery and to help define the outdoor dining space.”
Thank you Denise! These tips are amazing!